[c-nsp] Sup720 image

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Aug 21 09:31:52 EDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 09:42:26AM +0100, Tim Franklin wrote:
> > > Cisco already has images > 64mb so they really do need to
> > address the issue
> > > that you speak of.  This also has another interesting side
> > effect: You can't
> > > use TFTP to transfer images > 64Mb ... it bombs out.  You
> > have to use FTP.
> >
> > 	If you're a windows user using one of those crufty/junky
> > tftpds.
>
> Or Solaris, which at least up to 6, maybe later, had a tftpd with a *signed*
> block counter and no wrap-around, and consequently died at 16MB.  (32K
> blocks @ 512B).
>
> Windows has many *uniquely* broken network things, but crippled tftpds
> aren't one of them...

	I'm speaking of the hundreds of thousands of users who
only update with windows tftpds and don't know what FTP is other
than that thing we have to block on our firewall, so everyone else has
to switch to passive.

	There's more than TFTP out there and this issue seems to
be coming up a lot more these days..

	As image sizes have gotten larger Cisco really needs to
take a serious look at some of these issues and figure out how to
start moving to newer technology than TFTP for various image loads.

	I'd love to see the ability to copy off a http or https server,
but this doesn't exist in any software I see today.  But i see all sorts of
crufty features show up that I don't need which frustrates me.  I also
can't save my ssh keys elsewhere or have the system generate them
on-boot.

	I do see the image copy speed as a serious inhibitor to large
deployments of Cisco devices.  This is frequently missed by marketing
and other folks as they have no clue about these things, or why
you might need a large flash card to store a few hundred megs of core files.

	it's an overall lack of detail to this part of the device that
continues to frustrate me, not just people that only live in windoze land.
It is that these people are happy with the TFTP speeds that occour when
you are not on the same lan as the device.

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net