[c-nsp] Sup720 image

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Mon Aug 21 09:43:58 EDT 2006

On 22/08/2006 1:31 a.m., Jared Mauch wrote:

> 	There's more than TFTP out there and this issue seems to
> be coming up a lot more these days..
>
> 	As image sizes have gotten larger Cisco really needs to
> take a serious look at some of these issues and figure out how to
> start moving to newer technology than TFTP for various image loads.
>
> 	I'd love to see the ability to copy off a http or https server,
> but this doesn't exist in any software I see today.  But i see all sorts of
> crufty features show up that I don't need which frustrates me.  I also
> can't save my ssh keys elsewhere or have the system generate them
> on-boot.

 From 12.4(9)T/ADVSECURITY, but I don't think it's new to this release:

router#copy ?
   /erase          Erase destination file system.
   /noverify       Don't verify image signature before reload.
   /verify         Verify image signature before reload.
   archive:        Copy from archive: file system
   cns:            Copy from cns: file system
   flash:          Copy from flash: file system
   ftp:            Copy from ftp: file system
   http:           Copy from http: file system
   https:          Copy from https: file system
   ips-sdf         Copy from current IPS signature configuration
   null:           Copy from null: file system
   nvram:          Copy from nvram: file system
   rcp:            Copy from rcp: file system
   running-config  Copy from current system configuration
   scp:            Copy from scp: file system
   startup-config  Copy from startup configuration
   system:         Copy from system: file system
   tar:            Copy from tar: file system
   tftp:           Copy from tftp: file system
   xmodem:         Copy from xmodem: file system
   ymodem:         Copy from ymodem: file system

router#copy https: null:

As for your crypto keys, you can export them like this:

router(config)#crypto key export rsa     <cr>

> 	I do see the image copy speed as a serious inhibitor to large
> deployments of Cisco devices.  This is frequently missed by marketing
> and other folks as they have no clue about these things, or why
> you might need a large flash card to store a few hundred megs of core files.

rcp seems to be much faster than tftp (which is UDP based).  I haven't tried
with FTP all that much but being TCP, it too is likely somewhat faster than UDP
based protocols...

reuben