[c-nsp] LAN design.. distribution/core-edge routing...

Mark Tohill Mark at u.tv
Wed Aug 23 11:21:04 EDT 2006

Thanks for the reply Bruce.

The scenario is as below:

H1----SW1----6500-01----7200-01----ISP1-Router1
 \    /\     /| |   \   / |
  \  /  \   / | |    \ /  |
   \/    \ /  | |     X  |
   /\     \   | |    / \  |
  /  \   / \  | |   /   \ |
 /    \ /   \ | |  /     \|
H2----SW2----6500-02----7200-02----ISP1-Router2

1. Unsure as to arrangement of access to distribution/core 6500's, maybe
unique vlan per switch, unique vlans per switch or vlans spanning all
switches. I suppose this depends on the physical.

2. Since the links between the 6500's and edge 7200's will be routed
/30's, we have lost the HSRP functionality. The 7200's have default
static routes to the upstream neighbour.
Would it be best to redistribute this static from the 7200 via OSPF into
6500's with preferential cost on primary router?

3. Maybe if we recieved a default from our upstream instead of full routes, and pass that into an IGP, this may be a more resilient solution?

Thanks,