[c-nsp] Splitting an existing DECNET area using an IP backbone

Kevin.X.White at corusgroup.com Kevin.X.White at corusgroup.com
Thu Aug 24 05:37:43 EDT 2006

We have an IP only backbone between sites and also a legacy flat single
subnet between the same sites wich aslo has DECNET across it.
We would like to decommission the old network and tunnel the DECNET over
IP.
We have 3550s at each edge (EMI) and have set up a GRE tunnel between the
remote DECNET subnets.

Although the tunnel interfaces are up both ends,  so far we have not been
able to get any traffic to pass.

At present it is one DECNET area although we could split the area and
readress if necessary, however the 3550 does not support decnet routing so
we cannot point a route at the tunnel interface anyway!
Am I missing the point? does the switch not build a MAC address list for
the tunnel interface for the other end of the tunnel as it would for
another real interface on the switch allowing non routable protocols to
believe that the whole tunnel in effect is a single switch with 2 ports ?

R1

!
interface Tunnel1
 no ip address
 tunnel source Vlan51
 tunnel destination 1.68.144.1
!
!
interface Vlan51
 description 1.64 Vlan
 ip address 1.15.16.2 255.255.240.0
 ip address 1.64.16.8 255.255.240.0
 no ip redirects
 standby ip 1.64.16.1
 standby priority 200
!

R2

!
interface Tunnel1
 no ip address
 tunnel source Vlan700
 tunnel destination 1.64.16.8
!

!
interface Vlan700
 description "Tunnel VLAN to core"
 ip address 1.68.144.1 255.255.240.0
!
This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by
anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Corus Group Plc nor
any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or
misuse of the transmission by anyone.