[c-nsp] Splitting an existing DECNET area using an IP backbone

Tim Franklin tim at colt.net
Thu Aug 24 08:49:55 EDT 2006

Hi Kevin,

> Am I missing the point? does the switch not build a MAC
> address list for
> the tunnel interface for the other end of the tunnel as it would for
> another real interface on the switch allowing non routable
> protocols to
> believe that the whole tunnel in effect is a single switch
> with 2 ports ?

Not by default, no.  The tunnel is another layer-3 interface, like the SVI /
Vlan123 interfaces (or a regular router interface) - not a layer-2
interface, like a switchport.

Your might be able to get somewhere by putting both the tunnel interface and
the vlan interface into a bridge group on each router.  You're almost
certainly going to get some fun with fragmentation, so might need some
tweaks there, but in theory it *ought* to work - although I've never tried
it with that combination of hardware, point-to-point link and non-routed
protocol.

Regards,
Tim.

____________   Tim Franklin                 e: tim at colt.net
\C/\O/\L/\T/   Network Development &        w: www.colt.net
 V  V  V  V    Product Engineering          t: +44 20 7863 5714
Data | Voice | Managed Services             f: +44 20 7863 5876