[c-nsp] BGP split config

David Freedman david.freedman at uk.clara.net
Thu Aug 24 06:57:58 EDT 2006

Vincent De Keyzer wrote:
> Hello list,
>

> I have seen that my BGP config is split in two now, one "standard" part and
> one that starts with "address-family ipv4".
>

> I remember seeing a few mails about this recently, but I couldn't find back.
>

> Can somebody point me to an URL, or tell me how to fix this problem? As far
> as I recall, one should move to the new syntax (with "address-family") and
> there is a magic command to do this.

I think the command you are looking for was

"bgp upgrade-cli"

Alternatively typing "address-family ipv4 unicast" in bgp config mode
will instantly migrate the config as well.

As far as I know, having perfomed numerous migrations, almost all of
them went fine, with the exception of some early 12.3 mainline code
which decided it wanted to mess with the peer groups.

out of interest, I currently have configurations such:

Old :

router bgp 1234
  neighbor PEERS peer-group
  neighbor PEERS version 4
  neighbor PEERS route-map peermapin in
  neighbor PEERS route-map peermapout in
  neighbor 1.2.3.4 remote-as 5678
  neighbor 1.2.3.4 peer-group PEERS
  neighbor 5.6.7.8 remote-as 5678
  neighbor 5.6.7.8 peer-group PEERS
!

New:

router bgp 1234
  neighbor PEERS peer-group
  neighbor PEERS version 4
  neighbor 1.2.3.4 remote-as 5678
  neighbor 1.2.3.4 peer-group PEERS
  neighbor 5.6.7.8 remote-as 5678
  neighbor 5.6.7.8 peer-group PEERS
address-family ipv4 unicast
  neighbor PEERS activate
  neighbor PEERS route-map peermapin in
  neighbor PEERS route-map peermapout in
  neighbor 1.2.3.4 peer-group PEERS
  neighbor 5.6.7.8 peer-group PEERS
!

somebody at cisco suggested ( I think here? I cant find the post) that
he wanted the config to be forced into this form in later releases:

router bgp 1234
  neighbor PEERS peer-group
  neighbor PEERS version 4
  neighbor 1.2.3.4 remote-as 5678
  neighbor 1.2.3.4 peer-group PEERS
  neighbor 5.6.7.8 remote-as 5678
  neighbor 5.6.7.8 peer-group PEERS
address-family ipv4 unicast
  neighbor PEERS route-map peermapin in
  neighbor PEERS route-map peermapout in
  neighbor 1.2.3.4 peer-group PEERS
  neighbor 1.2.3.4 activate
  neighbor 5.6.7.8 peer-group PEERS
  neighbor 5.6.7.8 activate
!

whereby we need to activate each neighbor (eugh) per address family.

Since that fated release I've not seen this behaviour since...