[c-nsp] BGP split config

Bruce Pinsky bep at whack.org
Thu Aug 24 15:44:15 EDT 2006

David Freedman wrote:
> Vincent De Keyzer wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>

>> I have seen that my BGP config is split in two now, one "standard" part and
>> one that starts with "address-family ipv4".
>>

>> I remember seeing a few mails about this recently, but I couldn't find back.
>>

>> Can somebody point me to an URL, or tell me how to fix this problem? As far
>> as I recall, one should move to the new syntax (with "address-family") and
>> there is a magic command to do this.
>
> I think the command you are looking for was
>
> "bgp upgrade-cli"
>
> Alternatively typing "address-family ipv4 unicast" in bgp config mode
> will instantly migrate the config as well.
>
> As far as I know, having perfomed numerous migrations, almost all of
> them went fine, with the exception of some early 12.3 mainline code
> which decided it wanted to mess with the peer groups.
>
> out of interest, I currently have configurations such:
>
> Old :
>
> router bgp 1234
>   neighbor PEERS peer-group
>   neighbor PEERS version 4
>   neighbor PEERS route-map peermapin in
>   neighbor PEERS route-map peermapout in
>   neighbor 1.2.3.4 remote-as 5678
>   neighbor 1.2.3.4 peer-group PEERS
>   neighbor 5.6.7.8 remote-as 5678
>   neighbor 5.6.7.8 peer-group PEERS
> !
>
> New:
>
> router bgp 1234
>   neighbor PEERS peer-group
>   neighbor PEERS version 4
>   neighbor 1.2.3.4 remote-as 5678
>   neighbor 1.2.3.4 peer-group PEERS
>   neighbor 5.6.7.8 remote-as 5678
>   neighbor 5.6.7.8 peer-group PEERS
> address-family ipv4 unicast
>   neighbor PEERS activate
>   neighbor PEERS route-map peermapin in
>   neighbor PEERS route-map peermapout in
>   neighbor 1.2.3.4 peer-group PEERS
>   neighbor 5.6.7.8 peer-group PEERS
> !
>

> somebody at cisco suggested ( I think here? I cant find the post) that
> he wanted the config to be forced into this form in later releases:
>
> router bgp 1234
>   neighbor PEERS peer-group
>   neighbor PEERS version 4
>   neighbor 1.2.3.4 remote-as 5678
>   neighbor 1.2.3.4 peer-group PEERS
>   neighbor 5.6.7.8 remote-as 5678
>   neighbor 5.6.7.8 peer-group PEERS
> address-family ipv4 unicast
>   neighbor PEERS route-map peermapin in
>   neighbor PEERS route-map peermapout in
>   neighbor 1.2.3.4 peer-group PEERS
>   neighbor 1.2.3.4 activate
>   neighbor 5.6.7.8 peer-group PEERS
>   neighbor 5.6.7.8 activate
> !
>
> whereby we need to activate each neighbor (eugh) per address family.
>

> Since that fated release I've not seen this behaviour since...

A neighbor can be a member of a peer-group but still be activated or
deactivated independently.  Here is sample:

Peer Group active
- -------------------
 address-family ipv4
 neighbor PEERS activate
 neighbor PEERS route-map foo in
 neighbor 210.150.248.68 peer-group PEERS
 neighbor 210.150.248.137 peer-group PEERS

One neighbor inactive
 address-family ipv4
 neighbor PEERS activate
 neighbor PEERS route-map foo in
 no neighbor 210.150.248.68 activate
 neighbor 210.150.248.137 peer-group PEERS

- --
=========
bep