[c-nsp] full utilization on a T1 causing CRC/frame errors?

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Mon Aug 28 14:34:33 EDT 2006

> 	Otherwise, your circuit should be clean, including in adverse
> weather conditions.  I recall one circuit that would go down
> when it rained.  Eventually the pole it was on was hit by lightning and
> the wiring caught on fire.  Once it was replaced the circuit worked
> perfectly.
>
> 	- jared

I've seen T1 circuits show errors on hot sunny days that clear up at
night. The common PIC cables used aerially show higher losses (signal
strength loss, not data loss) at higher temperatures, so that's actually a
legit problem -- although still something the telco should fix with
amplifiers. I've had ISDN circuits that work great while frozen, but show
all kinds of problems when thawed (had this happen at home in the 90's).

I have had line techs tell me that a great way to ensure a dispatch is to
ground one side of one pair of a circuit since their automated test gear
will always see that remotely. The local ILEC techs have actually said
that "sometimes that's what you have to do".

Unless one has worked in telecom, one can not truely appreciate what a
miracle it really is to pick up a phone and hear anything at all, even a
dial tone...

   -Bill