[c-nsp] Spanning Tree Max VLAN's 35xx

Michael K. Smith mksmith at adhost.com
Tue Aug 29 17:23:19 EDT 2006

Hello Steinar:

On 8/29/06 1:04 PM, "sthaug at nethelp.no" <sthaug at nethelp.no> wrote:

>> I have a 3550-48 in the network that is a client in a VTP domain with 177
>> VLAN's, only 10 of which actually terminate on the 3550 itself.  All the
>> other VLAN's are in the domain and passing on the uplink trunk ports.
>>
>> I'm getting an error message about platform limits of 128 VLAN's.  I thought
>> this was only an issue for locally terminated VLAN's but I must be wrong in
>> that assumption.
>
> You're probably seeing the limitation of 128 spanning tree groups. Not
> necessarily the same as number of VLANs! Things you can do:
>
> - Run without spanning tree on some VLANs.
> - Use MSTP to reduce the number of spanning tree groups.
>
> The 3550, *excluding spanning tree* can have up to 1024 simultaneous
> VLANs.
>
> Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no

Thanks for the input.  As I see it, the "easier" way is to disable spanning
tree on those VLAN's not terminating on the switch, but would it be possible
to run MSTP when the root switches are running PVST?  I have a bunch of Cat
5k's in the network that only support PVST as far as I know, so I don't
think I can run MSTP in the core.  If I'm making bad assumptions feel free
to let me know.

Thanks,

Mike