[c-nsp] Spanning Tree Max VLAN's 35xx

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Tue Aug 29 16:04:42 EDT 2006

> I have a 3550-48 in the network that is a client in a VTP domain with 177
> VLAN's, only 10 of which actually terminate on the 3550 itself.  All the
> other VLAN's are in the domain and passing on the uplink trunk ports.
>
> I'm getting an error message about platform limits of 128 VLAN's.  I thought
> this was only an issue for locally terminated VLAN's but I must be wrong in
> that assumption.

You're probably seeing the limitation of 128 spanning tree groups. Not
necessarily the same as number of VLANs! Things you can do:

- Run without spanning tree on some VLANs.
- Use MSTP to reduce the number of spanning tree groups.

The 3550, *excluding spanning tree* can have up to 1024 simultaneous
VLANs.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no