[c-nsp] Spanning Tree Max VLAN's 35xx

Laura Grill-Kristoff l-grill at northwestern.edu
Tue Aug 29 22:18:23 EDT 2006

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 12:28:35PM -0700, Michael K. Smith wrote:
> Hello All:

[...]`
> What is the best way to filter out VLAN's headed to the device?  If I put
> VLAN allow lists on the uplink ports does that do anything to limit the STP
> instances or is all of that being carried by VTP to the switch regardless of
> filters?  What about VTP Pruning on the VTP server?

We ran into this a lot.  What we finally did is to change all of our
switches to  transparent mode (so basically disabled VTP).  You'd
still have to go and manually delete all the unused VLANs after you make
the change.  It may not work for you if you like the automation provided
by VTP, but we prefer to just manually create the vlans we need on our
switches.
[...]
--
Laura Kristoff (l-grill at northwestern.edu)
IT Telecommunications and Network Services