[c-nsp] MPLS dies permanently after low mem condition

Garry gkg at gmx.de
Fri Dec 1 06:33:17 EST 2006

Hi,

we just recently had another issue on a 7206 VXR (12.0(25)S1) we had
encountered before some very long time ago ... after a low-memory
condition, the router ceases forwarding MPLS-tagged packets, with now
appearent way of recovery except reboot ... I tried shutting down MPLS
on all links (FE/POS) by "no mpls ip", tried shutting down links
completely, to no avail.

On MPLS level, I noticed that a traceroute inside the MPLS backbone
would list that router as not using MPLS anymore, contrary to the
"usual" output ...

Is this a known issue of this (ancient) IOS? Apart from this issue, we
have not had any problems with the router, happily enjoying a well over
1yr uptime (surviving even PA-changes without any ill behavior), so I'm
a bit hesitant to actual change this IOS ...

Thanks, -gg