[c-nsp] WS6548 pericles with port/ether-channels

Moerman, Maarten m.moerman at marktplaats.nl
Tue Dec 5 05:38:11 EST 2006

Hi Folks,

I just bought these freakin expensive WS6548GE-TX boards, in order to
correctly implement portchannels ,and get rid of the 1gb limit the
6148's have. As been told by the cisco site, the cisco site also
mentioned that the 6548's do not have ratelimit problems. So I'm
implementing those....

Found out this:

Adding interfaces of the same port-group (25-32) on WS-X6548-GE-TX to an
etherchannel will not increase the channel troughput
Adding interfaces of the same port-group (33-40) on WS-X6548-GE-TX to an
etherchannel will not increase the channel troughput

How's that.. If I look at that, I see that there are 6 port-groups of 8
interfaces. Which means, that there is  (I think) only a 6gbit port to
the backplane, is that correct?

I needed to have 2 port channels of 8gb and one of 2gb. Is this possible
in my configuration? I have 7604's with Sup730-3BXL, no money spared on
those. And now I've found out that after the cisco site giving me wrong
information, I can't get this fixed.

Am I doing something wrong maybe? Or is it the limitations of the
6548's?

Config is very simple:

Int port-channel 1
  Ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.252
end

int range giga 4/1-8
  Channel-group 1 mode on
  no sh
end

(above does not work, cause I'll be adding 8 interfaces of the same
portgroup)

So:

Int giga 4/1
  Channel-group 1 mode on