[c-nsp] VPN Device

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Dec 5 22:26:06 EST 2006

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Shaun wrote:

> I'm looking for a device that will allow remote/offsite techs/admins to vpn
> into our network and be able to use the internet, basically they would look
> as if they where onsite to the world.  I've done this on a cisco 2621 before
> but performance and throughput sucked.  Was wondering if anybody could
> recommend a device that would be able to do this at a decient price.

That would depend on a number of things:
1. What is a decent price?
2. How many simultaneous VPN users do you need to support?
3. How do you characterize acceptable performance and throughput?

When you say the performance sucked on the 2621, were you using a network
module to allow the encryption/decryption to be handled in hardware?  If
not, that would all fall on to the CPU and your performance would go down
the tubes very quickly.

The 2800 and 3800 series have VPN encryption hardware built in.  I've
built a few site-to-site VPNs on 2800s and they work fine.  The ASA
firewall appliances (successor to the PIX) works well for client-based
remote-access VPNs and I have a customer using one for exactly what you
describe above with no problems.

jms