[c-nsp] BGP Route Nailing & Reoriginatin

Lawrence Wong lawrencewong72 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 6 10:40:59 EST 2006

Hi Oliver,

To elaborate further on the environment as requested, we are currently engaged in a B2B project that will ultimately lead to:

>        (R1 / AS1) <-> (R2 / AS2) <-> (R3 / AS3)

R1/AS1 is an IP VPN MPLS network linking up a number of our remote offices. The service provider uses public AS number instead of private AS number to do BGP peering. We (R2/AS2) peer with R1/AS1 to obtain the list of routes (aka WAN & LAN IPs) for our sites that are connected to the IP VPN. We could do static route between R1/AS1<->R2/AS2 but it would make the routing complex and hard to maintain and scale in future. There is also a possibility that R1/AS1 will need to connect to another AS for other functions in future.

R3/AS3 is an IP VPN for B2B purposes where a number of our business partners are connected to. We do BGP with R3/AS3 to advertise our routes as well as receive theirs so that traffic to/fro our business partners will pass through the link. R3/AS3 policy does not allow "transit" ASes (aka more than 1 AS number in the AS path).

Hence our original idea of "reoriginating R1/AS" routes under our own AS (R2/AS2).

Nailing on R2, I guess could be done as per Shakeel's advice of:

> ip route 1.1.1.0/24 Null 0 250
> ip route 2.2.2.0/24 Null 0 250

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance!