[c-nsp] 96Port rj45 cards.

Dale W. Carder dwcarder at doit.wisc.edu
Thu Dec 7 10:46:17 EST 2006

On Dec 7, 2006, at 9:12 AM, Drew Weaver wrote:
>     Has anyone had any direct experience with the 96port rj45
> cards, our
> Cat 6500s have sup 720s in them, and all ports are 100Mbps/10Mbps so
> we're trying to decide if we should go higher density instead of more
> switches.

The port density you can achieve on a 6500 is not worth it.  The 96 port
rj-45 card (WS-X6196-RJ-21) is 10/100 only and sits on the 32 gig bus,
not the fabric.

I would argue, however, that less switches and higher density is the
correct path.  I would also argue that cisco is a year or two behind
another vendor in switching capacity, customers are flocking, and that
is a darn shame.

Dale