[c-nsp] OSPF Link costs

Robert Blayzor rblayzor at inoc.net
Fri Dec 8 20:25:35 EST 2006

J. Oquendo wrote:
> Cost = 10(8) / bandwidth (in bits per second [bps])
>
> If bandwidth of Ethernet0 is 10 Mbps, which is equal to 10(7).
> The formula yields 10(8) / 10(7), equaling a cost of 10.
> //
>
> "ip ospf cost interface cost" interface configuration
> command to explicitly specify the cost on an interface.
>
> Figure out how much bandwidth you have and tweak the int's
> as you see fit

The problem is not the cost itself it's the fact that I have multiple
routers in the same VLAN, behind one SVI.  The SVI can only be one set
cost, however the switch links and routers in that subnet can be of
various speed, FE or GE.  While all the routers are multi-homed, I want
them to use the links which are faster.  Easy to control on the routers
themselves by setting the costs, but traffic the other way it not so easy.

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC

(A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nfluence with large hammer?