[c-nsp] cat6 gigE

Lawrence E. Bakst ml at iridescent.org
Mon Dec 11 00:36:08 EST 2006

1. Cat-6 is (much) harder to terminate yourself than Cat-5. To get it to work reliably you need to allow for only 1/2 untwist per pair.

2. Good connectors are critical. Load bar often helps. Sentinel makes great stuff. Top of the line. However they don't provide end user support.
http://www.sentinelconn.com/

3. As to what grade cable is "required". That is not the issue. It's all about how much margin you want to have on the various parameters that you need to measure. Sure it is supposed to work with CAT-5E, but there isn't much margin. Cable is relatively cheap. No reason not to overkill and get top of the line cable from Mohawk, Berk_Tek or other top of line cable companies.

4. A good tester is really required otherwise you are just operating blind. A tester is required for GbE.  Fluke DTX-1800 is great and future proof to 10 GbE. It costs $6-7K. Also let's you keep a record of every cable assembly on a PC. If you can't afford a tester you should wither buy pre terminated assemblies from a reputable vendor or have a pro do it.

You need to measure NEXT, PSNEXT, ELFEXT, PSELFEXT, ACR, PSACR, and RL at both the local and remote ends. If you don't understand this stuff either learn it or hire a Pro.

Best,

leb