[c-nsp] Cat6506 + sup/msfc2: native IOS refuses to boot

Matti Saarinen mjsaarin at cc.helsinki.fi
Wed Dec 13 12:48:34 EST 2006

Sukumar Subburayan wrote:

> Can you try these two methods:

 I'm not sure whether I've already tried almost similar. Taking the
 switch offline again is not an easy task. I need a few days to warn
 people. So, unfortunately, I cannot try the methods you suggested. I
 wish I could.

> 1. When the box boots up and is in RP-rommon prompt:
>
> 1. type 'priv'
> 2. if you see something with a line starting with 'BOOT=bootflash:......'
>    do 'unset BOOT'
> 3. 'confreg 0x2102'
> 4.  'sync'

 Instead of modifying those parameters on RP-rommon, I did clear the
 boot lines from config by issuing "no boot ..." on MSFC. At that
 moment, config-register was still 0x0. After removing the boot lines
 from config, I reloaded the switch. When it came back to RP-rommon, I
 checked if there are any boot lines left (by issuing set) and there
 were none. Finally, I manually entered the boot command which failed.

 Is there a some sort of difference between manually entering the boot
 command on RP-rommon and RP booting automatically? I would think
 there isn't but I'm beginning to think I'm wrong.

 Cheers,

--
- Matti -