[c-nsp] Cat6506 + sup/msfc2: native IOS refuses to boot

Sukumar Subburayan sukumars at cisco.com
Wed Dec 13 13:41:34 EST 2006

comments inline..

sukumar

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, Matti Saarinen wrote:

> Sukumar Subburayan wrote:
>
>> Can you try these two methods:
>
> I'm not sure whether I've already tried almost similar. Taking the
> switch offline again is not an easy task. I need a few days to warn
> people. So, unfortunately, I cannot try the methods you suggested. I
> wish I could.

understood. I thought, you were trying to convert a sup offline and not in
production.

>> 1. When the box boots up and is in RP-rommon prompt:
>>
>> 1. type 'priv'
>> 2. if you see something with a line starting with 'BOOT=bootflash:......'
>>    do 'unset BOOT'
>> 3. 'confreg 0x2102'
>> 4.  'sync'
>
> Instead of modifying those parameters on RP-rommon, I did clear the
> boot lines from config by issuing "no boot ..." on MSFC. At that
> moment, config-register was still 0x0. After removing the boot lines
> from config, I reloaded the switch. When it came back to RP-rommon, I
> checked if there are any boot lines left (by issuing set) and there
> were none. Finally, I manually entered the boot command which failed.
>
> Is there a some sort of difference between manually entering the boot
> command on RP-rommon and RP booting automatically? I would think
> there isn't but I'm beginning to think I'm wrong.

There shouldn't be any different between manual & autoboot. If you have
already cleared the boot string manually, they that should be fine.

What version of bootloader image you are using? There were some issues
with older version of bootloader images specifically with booting from
'sup-disk0:'.

Can you also send me (if you want you can unicast) the complete output of
a. your 'set..'
b. the complete console log of the RP failing the boot.