[c-nsp] Cat6506 + sup/msfc2: native IOS refuses to boot

Matti Saarinen mjsaarin at cc.helsinki.fi
Tue Dec 19 12:02:54 EST 2006

Sukumar Subburayan wrote:

> Can you try these two methods:
>
> 1. When the box boots up and is in RP-rommon prompt:
>
> 1. type 'priv'
> 2. if you see something with a line starting with 'BOOT=bootflash:......'
>    do 'unset BOOT'
> 3. 'confreg 0x2102'
> 4.  'sync'
>
> Now, again drop to rommon of SP (by power-cycling the box)
>
> and try doing a manual boot from SP using 'boot ..'
>
> The RP-should autoboot the image on the PCMCIA, when the console
> switches to RP.

 Sukumar was right, which is not a surprise. I should have believed
 him right from the beginning. It seems that (at least) 12.2(18)SXF6
 cannot be booted manually from MSFC2's ROMMON. Autobooting, on the
 other hand, works fine. So, no need to touch MSFC's ROMMON at all
 when converting from CatOS to IOS despite what Ciscos conversion
 guide instructs.

 Cheers,

--
- Matti -