[c-nsp] EOS/EOL for the 7500 platform

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Dec 15 14:40:34 EST 2006

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 02:27:30PM -0500, Tim Durack wrote:
> The replacement options are interesting:
>
> "The Cisco 7600 Series Router with Supervisor 720 is a scalable
> solution offering IPv4, IPv6, and advanced MPLS and VPLS services in
> hardware."
>
> "The Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switch with Supervisor 720 is a
> scalable solution offering IPv4, IPv6 and MPLS services in hardware."
>
> As far as I was aware, MPLS support is identical on either platorm at present.
> Is this the start of 6500/7600 being targeted for different markets?
>
> Cisco really need to make this clear - at the moment it is difficult
> to determine what hardware/software functionality is going to be
> available on these two platforms moving forward.

	They're the same platform, just two different BUs
that are fighting for your dollars selling the same bits.  Currently
they're both earl7 so you will see the same limits.  The only
difference is software.  We'll see how well the fight goes in
the new year.

	At least they're finally killing the 7500.  It's been needed
for a long time.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net