[c-nsp] 7600 vs 6500 (Was: EOS/EOL for the 7500 platform)

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists lists at hojmark.org
Fri Dec 15 17:14:05 EST 2006

> Can anyone answer if the future SP codebase will continue to
> work on sup720,

Since the Sup720 is already "a 7600 product", I find it highly
unlikely that they kill the software support soon. On the other
hand, where do you think they'll focus future development? It's
a safe bet that some new features will only work on the new Sup
^H RSP.

Also, it looks like the RSP720 (with better MSFC and PFC) will
cost the same as the Sup720, and when a new, better product costs
the same as the old, that's normally a not-so-subtle hint that
one should stop buying the old one.

> or if I need to upgrade all my boxes to RSP720, and if so, do
> I have to throw all my 6500 chassis away?

According to one of the PMs from the BU, the RSP720 will *not*
be supported in 6500 chassis. (I asked him if he was absolutely,
positively sure that decision would hold).

IMO that decision is just bad, bad, bad. Quite a few customers
have used the 6500 instead of the 7600 because it was the same
thing, because the 6-slot used the same PSUs, because the 6500
sat in the data center already etc. etc.

When you have to change the whole box anyway, why wouldn't you
seriously consider fork lifting the thing for a competitive
product?

-A