[c-nsp] EOS/EOL for the 7500 platform

Stephen Fulton sf at lists.esoteric.ca
Fri Dec 15 17:35:45 EST 2006

Hi Gert,

My biggest problem with Cisco right now is the 7600 series, period.  The
business decisions made by that BU lately are incredibly self-centred.  For
example, I'm doing some capacity planning for the next year, and the
"obvious" upgrade path for the devices in question and the services those
are used for, is the 7600 series.  However, reading the fine print regarding
the new SIP/SPA's is really disheartening.  There are options that the
SIP-200 & SIP-400 won't do, but the SIP-600 will, but it will only accept
certain SPA's, and the pricing is prohibitive.

We're primarily a Cisco shop, and I'm studying for my CCIP, but I've
realized that in order to provide *our* customers with the services they
demand, other vendors will be required.  There are just too many unknowns
about what the Cisco 7600 series will, or will not, support.  I won't risk
my job because of it.

-- Stephen.