[c-nsp] 6500/7600 split, Was Re: EOS/EOL for the 7500 platform

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Dec 18 12:30:35 EST 2006

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 09:00:04AM -0800, Buhrmaster, Gary wrote:
> > 	I think the chaos is going to quite possibly kill market
> > share.  Two different BU's "warring" with each other, neither
> > fitting into their market space perfectly.  I'm glad i'm not
> > a shareholder, it's a waste of money.  Any employee who
> > owns stock or anywhere else should be asking serious questions, IMO.
>
> There is the argument made by some companies that a "war"
> is the way to progress, forcing each BU to work harder
> and to innovate/deliver faster.

There is enough external competion to war with, so I really can't see
the incentive to annoy customers here...

We want a realiable and trustworthy partner for our investments.

"Internal wars" leading to "well, it might be that your combination
of hardware + software requirements is not going to be supported next
year, but we'll have lots of new stuff to sell to you by then" is
*not* generating very much trust on my side.

Actually, we don't want so much "innovations" and "faster time to market"
as "stable and reliable code, meeting 21st century standards for software".
Things like "SRA has no modularity support and takes 5 minute for a reboot"
in combination with "the software is so buggy that you *need* to reboot
quite often" is not really meeting this expectation.

Especially code modularity, properly done, would help "innovation" and
"software testing" a *LOT* more than "competing BUs, both trying to
maximize customer annoyance by releasing incomplete and badly tested
stuff".

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de