[c-nsp] WS-X6148A-GE-TX Etherchannel limit

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Mon Dec 18 18:28:47 EST 2006

At 09:14 PM 12/18/2006 +0100, Robert Hass uttered:
>On Tue, 31 Oct 2006, Tim Stevenson wrote:
>
> >The answer is "no", this limitation does not apply to the A version
> >of the card. Of course, you are still have built-in 8:1
> >oversubscription & you still can't get > 1G through an oversubscribed
> >port group.
> >
> >>"The WS-X6148-GE-TX and WS-X6148V-GE-TX switching modules do not support
> >>more than 1 Gbps of traffic per EtherChannel."
>
>Is this 1Gb/s is full-duplex (1Gb for inbound and 1Gb for outbound) or
>half-duplex (inbound + outbound) ?

Full duplex (1G in & 1G out simultaneously).

>Which card you recommendd as WS-X6148-GE-TX replacement ? We're running
>two 6509/SUP720 and one 6506/SUP32.

For Sup32, you don't have another choice really. 6148A-GETX does have
per port buffer vs the non-A version. For sup720, 6748-GETX is the best option.

>On every 6500 we're using one
>WS-X6148-GE-TX card which is providing connectivity for our customers
>and servers. But currently traffic dramaticly increased, and we already
>saw input queue drops - probably caused by 1G oversubscription. I'm
>planning to buy new linecards for each 6500.

6148-GETX is designed for access layer/GE to the desktop type
applications, not for high-performance server aggregation or
infrastructure interconnects.

Tim

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Catalyst 6500
Cisco Systems, http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759