[c-nsp] SFP & GBIC module compatibility

nachocheeze at gmail.com nachocheeze at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 21:52:07 EST 2006

In most cases, I've found the "works with any" to be generally true.
I've used Cisco SFPs in Juniper routers (and vice-versa), Netgear
switch GBICs in Cisco switches (and vice versa), Cisco SFP's in
Netgear switches, and various other hardware platform combos and have
never had an issue, regardless of the type; SX to LX to ZX.

Here's one production example from one of my Juniper M20's:

> show chassis hardware
Hardware inventory:
Item             Version  Part number  Serial number     Description

<snip>

  PIC 3          REV 05   XXXXXXXXXX   XXXXXX            1x G/E SFP, 1000 BASE
    SFP 0        IC       NON-JNPR     XXXXXXX           SFP-SX

I honestly don't remember what brand of SFP this is (it's probably
Cisco, but I really couldn't say without taking it out).

One item of note; by pure coincidence, the downstream peer I have that
connects to this interface is far and away the highest bandwidth user
of anyone I have on this box.  They regularly push up to and over
500Mbps of traffic across this GigE.  The fact that it's not a
Juniper-brand SFP has never been an issue.

That said, my user base tends to be much more forgiving of outages
(we're in R&E) than someone in, say, the Fortune 500 would be.  If
this box was running traffic for Goldman Sachs, then by all means, I'd
buy branded optics for every interface, every time.  I use non-brands
because they're cheaper, and if they fail, I probably won't suffer
much fallout if I have to do a swap.  Some people don't have that
luxury, and should buy accordingly.