[c-nsp] Information on "simple" VRF

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Thu Dec 21 22:47:36 EST 2006

I have a routing "scenario" that seems to beg VRF as a solution, but
being an old dinosaur with no previous need for VRF, have never done the
specifics.  I've tried to RTFM but it seems all the examples I'm pulling
up are convoluted bags of VPN, MPLS, and other things that are more
confusing than clarifying.  I would appreciate some pointers, even if
they head off in a completely different direction :)

We have several distinct "customers" on our network, such as:

* dorms/ResNet - default deny-in, bandwidth shaped, restricted paths to
the outside world,
* main campus - default deny-in, open paths to the outside world,
* server farm - dedicated firewall/IPS/etc,
* partnership/research entities - we're essentially an ISP but want them
isolated from internal networks

Currently we have a 2-3-2 network (layer 2 core, layer 3 distribution,
layer 2 access) and do policy routing at the core to manipulate next-hop
to control their connectivity to the outside world, but it's getting
ugly.  The different "customers" are at best on their own vlans at the
access layer (sharing the same access switches in some cases), but
routing them back to the core we need to alter their default to point to
the proper outside path(s).  Each group has a dedicated ASA "context"
with configurations tailored for their access requirements (ASAs running
active/active, multiple context mode).

It would seem that VRF would let me setup an "instance" for each outside
path (firewall/IPS/shaping/whever grooming as appropriate) at the
distribution layer and allow it to pass through the core to the
appropriate outside path (ASA instance) without the need to policy route.

Is this a reasonable approach?