[c-nsp] risks of service contract non-renewal

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Fri Dec 22 06:15:54 EST 2006

The newer switches and routers that come out ever year are faster, cheaper
and better.

There is a point at which it doesen't make sense to keep on updating older
gear with new
IOS, and instead start putting the money you would be paying in service
contracts into saving up
for a new shiny switch.  Every year IOS gets bigger and the larger code
paths seem to take
more CPU cycles to get through.  If you cannot update the CPU and ram in the
Cisco
device, there's not a lot of point in maintaining service on it forver and
continuing to get IOS
update after update.

Ted