[c-nsp] risks of service contract non-renewal

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Thu Dec 21 10:14:10 EST 2006

I've got a customer who is thinking of letting the service contracts on its Cisco gear (L2 and L3 switches) expire, since the switches have limited lifetime warranties, they have cold spares and if they need technical assistance, they can ask yours truly.

I think the risk of doing this is that they will lose access to software upgrades, except in the case of free upgrades to redress security vulnerabilities.

I wonder if there are any other risks they should be aware of. I assume they will still be able to gain access to CCO even without a valid service contract, for example.

Thanks for any insight.

Thanks,
Adam