[c-nsp] Alternatives to Cisco switching

Michael K. Smith - Adhost mksmith at adhost.com
Sun Dec 24 19:44:56 EST 2006

Hello Ras:

I know this isn't a direct answer, but if higher resiliency of Ethernet
is a major concern you might consider looking at other technologies to
add to your mix such as 802.17 (Resilient Packet Ring).  There are
several vendors in that arena and Cisco has some very good stuff in
their ML-series devices.

As for fleeced;  I believe Cisco is aggressive in their markup, but I
also believe that other vendors will use them as a baseline and then
come in with any price that's lower (by whatever degree necessary to
sell the product).

Having at least two vendors at the table is never a bad idea.  In fact,
you should really tell each of the vendors that they're not the only
candidate so they understand there is competition in the world.  Then,
make sure you actually test a couple of competing "solutions" to see if
they stand up to the marketing hype.  Or, more accurately, test them to
see how far they deviate from the marketing hype.

Regards,

Mike