[c-nsp] Routing-induced latency

Church, Chuck cchurch at netcogov.com
Thu Feb 2 10:41:25 EST 2006

What is the current latency?  What latency are those people asking you
looking for?  By 'campus', I assume all that separate any two end hosts
are a few L2 and L3 devices, and all high speed links
(Ethernet/FDDI,etc) covering at most 5 miles of distance?  If so, you
shouldn't see light-load latency of more than 10ms.  If it is much more
than that, it's possible something's deeply queuing and/or process
switching in the middle of the two hosts.  VoIP and Video can cope with
100ms.  Are any of your links approaching capacity?  If someone is
complaining about latency, it sounds like an issue that can be dealt
with via QOS.  Or possibly packets are being lost due to queue drops or
frame errors.  They may be mistaking lost packets for latency.

Chuck