[c-nsp] BGP and NAT

Tim Franklin tim at colt.net
Thu Feb 2 11:00:24 EST 2006

>  This is it ..
>

> router A <--ibgp--> route B <--eBGP PUblic IP prefixes -> IXP
>    |			|
>    |			|
>    |			|
>    |			|
> My network		|
> (192.168.0.0/24)	|
> 			192 for the iBGP with A
> 			81.X.X.X on my update source (fully routed)
> 			195.X.X.X for the eth that connects to the IX

Any or all of the following would be a help:

- Your config for the BGP session
- 'show ip bgp neighbor <peer-address> advertised-routes'
- 'show ip bgp neighbor <your-IX-LAN-address> routes' from a friendly peer

I suspect that your routes may be getting to your peers with a next-hop of
either:

- private address space (which they won't have a route to, or at least not
to your copy of it)
- 81.X.X.X, and they don't have a (valid) route to it

Update-source to the IX-LAN address and next-hop-self would probably do a
good job of hiding whatever jiggery-pokery is going on in your own network
to the people you peer with...

Regards,
Tim.

____________   Tim Franklin                 e: tim at colt.net
\C/\O/\L/\T/   Product Engineering Manager  w: www.colt.net
 V  V  V  V    Managed Data Services        t: +44 20 7863 5714
Data | Voice | Managed Services             f: +44 20 7863 5876