[c-nsp] 6500er FAN

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Feb 2 16:39:24 EST 2006

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Gert Doering wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 10:06:51AM +0100, Ahmad Cheikh Moussa wrote:
>> I have 6500 Catalyst and one FAN is out of order.
>
> That's the big FAN board that slides in at the left of the chassis.
>
> Usually one of the 9 or 12 fans on the board is stuck, and not turning
> anymore.  You can hotplug the FAN module, and replace them all in one go.

The individual fans are not replaceable.  Usually when one fan goes, the
others aren't too far behind, so it's not a bad idea to replace the entire
tray.  It beats having an outage because of the supervisor going into
thermal shutdown mode :-)

Also, if you have a Sup 720, make sure you get a Fan Tray 2 to replace the
old unit.

jms