[c-nsp] NPE-400 vs. NPE-G1

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Fri Feb 3 22:23:27 EST 2006

--On February 2, 2006 4:14:02 PM -0500 Charles Sporkman
<spork.sporkman at gmail.com> wrote:

> In the used market, it looks like an NPE-400 runs about $3K, the
> NPE-G1 about $9K.  Cisco claims 1Mpps on the G1, 400Kpps on the 400.
> Neither seems to beat a Juniper M5 on forwarding, nor DoS mitigation.
> But the M5 is even more pricey, and their gigabit adapters seem to be
> made out of gold.  The G1 packs 3 GigE ports in that base $8K price.

The big difference is the M5's GigE is GigE.  It's not oversubscribed.  It
has the hardware behind it to run at full tilt.  If you need more ethernet
interfaces, trunk it to a switch (this is exactly what I do). ;)  And
actually this holds true for basically all of Junipers gear.  You can
actually get line rate with features for most any combination.  It's a LOT
beefier box.

> I guess what I'm looking for is some real-world feedback on the G1.
> I'm curious about how much traffic one can comfortably pass through
> it, and if trying to do any QoS/shaping on the metro-ethernet
> customers would severely impact performance.
>
> Also I'm still looking for any off-list used/refurb dealer
> recommendations.  So far all I had was one dealer touting themselves
> as "very good".  Not quite what I had in mind. :)
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Charles

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler