[c-nsp] NPE-400 vs. NPE-G1

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Feb 4 04:12:47 EST 2006

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 08:23:27PM -0700, Michael Loftis wrote:
> The big difference is the M5's GigE is GigE.  It's not oversubscribed.  It
> has the hardware behind it to run at full tilt.  If you need more ethernet
> interfaces, trunk it to a switch (this is exactly what I do).

Well, for the price of a single Juniper GE-PIC, you get 3 GEs from
Cisco, plus a full router coming with it...

If you need full line rate on more than one GE - for the price of two
GE-PICs, you can get a 7603 with Sup720 and 10 ports GE, and run line rate
on all of them.

While $J builds nice routers, the interface modules are just too expensive
if all you need is LAN cards.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de