[c-nsp] NPE-400 vs. NPE-G1

Robert Blayzor rblayzor at inoc.net
Sat Feb 4 09:13:56 EST 2006

Gert Doering wrote:
> If you need full line rate on more than one GE - for the price of two
> GE-PICs, you can get a 7603 with Sup720 and 10 ports GE, and run line rate
> on all of them.

For that application you wouldn't even need a 720, you could get a Sup32
and it comes with 8 gig-E ports (or two 10G), just add SFP's, and it's
save quite a bit less money vs the 720.

> While $J builds nice routers, the interface modules are just too expensive
> if all you need is LAN cards.

This is the main reason why we went for 7606's with Sup720's over the
Juniper routers (I believe they were M20's).  I needed at least eight
Gig-E ports on both of them, so when I was presented with a quote for
basically 16 * $20,000 less 10-15% for just the Gig-E ports, my decision
was pretty easy. ;-)

The Gig-E ports on the Sup's will do full line rate, and if you start
exceeding things you can add a 6724 and a DFC, and you're still way
under the cost of the Junipers.

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC