[c-nsp] Fun with 12.2(25)SEE

Mark Lasarko mlasarko at co.ba.md.us
Thu Feb 9 20:16:45 EST 2006

Calling on the SP-ish' mindset;
I found the following interesting and confusing at the same time so I thought I would post it.
Per the docs for 12.2(25)SEE (on the Cat3550, of course):

"Supports the ip directed-broadcast interface configuration command. This command can be configured on a VPN routing/forwarding (VRF) interface so that directed broadcast traffic is routed only within the VRF."

I was curious, in a positive way, until I read later in the notes:

"When multi-VRF-CE is enabled on the switch, the switch does not support the ip directed-broadcast interface configuration command used to enable forwarding of IP-directed broadcasts on an interface. There is no workaround. (CSCee05670)"

At that point my curiosity turned to confusion.
So what's the point of implementing the command if it's only going to work in a single VRF?
What am I missing here?

If someone can fix this memory leak in my brain I sure would appreciate it.
Some real-world use, a practical perspective perhaps?
Even something obvious from one of the MPLS guru's
(I'll be glad to break out the dunce cap)

Any knowledge transfer would be appreciated!

I though there were quite a few other "interesting" things in the release notes, more than usual IMO; for example:
Without a vlan.dat file, the VTP and VLAN configuration from the start-up configuration is not used. (no workaround)
OSPF and IGRP metrics don't work (need to hard-code BW)
Insane DSCP rewrites
More @
http://tinyurl.com/df6w5

Thanx,