[c-nsp] Route-Map Question/Advice

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Fri Feb 10 09:23:50 EST 2006

Richard J. Sears wrote:

> Is it better to create individual route-maps for bgp sessions, or create
> a single route-map with individual match clauses to get the job done..?
>
> I have not been able to find pros/cons in doing it either way. My gut
> tells me the first way is better only because is a singe route-map and

I would hazard a guess that you'll want or need to do tuning on your
outbound traffic at some point.  You'll appreciate separate route-maps
at that time, so that your as-path access lists can be written much easier.

As a side note, I keep at least two sets of in&out route maps for all of
my upstreams.  One set is for regular operations, one set is for
maintenance periods (announce our routes with communities for peer-level
or below-peer-level handling and prepends, learn their routes with low
LP and prepends).  For providers I have multiple connections with, I
keep a third set which sets high MED (+10000 over my usual values) on
announcements and routes received, so I can put a single session on
backup with consistent parameters (other than MED) inside the provider's
network.

And there's always the "no-routes" route map...

pt