[c-nsp] Route-Map Question/Advice

Richard J. Sears rsears at americanIS.net
Fri Feb 10 09:03:32 EST 2006

Hey Everyone -

Just a quick question hopefully someone can answer for me or point me in
the right direction.

Is it better to create individual route-maps for bgp sessions, or create
a single route-map with individual match clauses to get the job done..?

I have not been able to find pros/cons in doing it either way. My gut
tells me the first way is better only because is a singe route-map and
doesn't have to go through a very long route-map before it hits a match,
but from an administrative standpoint, assigning the same route-map to
all of my peers would be easier.

Any thoughts either way would be helpful.

And as always - thanks

Example

route-map  FROM_PEER1 permit 10
match ip address prefix-list PEER_1
match as-path 10
set local-preference 150

route-map  FROM_PEER2 permit 10
match ip address prefix-list PEER_2
match as-path 20
set local-preference 150

route-map  FROM_PEER3 permit 10
match ip address prefix-list PEER_3
match as-path 30
set local-preference 150

or

route-map  FROM_PEERS permit 10
match ip address prefix-list PEER_1
match as-path 10
set local-preference 150

route-map  FROM_PEERS permit 20
match ip address prefix-list PEER_2
match as-path 20
set local-preference 150

route-map  FROM_PEERS permit 30
match ip address prefix-list PEER_3
match as-path 30
set local-preference 150

Richard J. Sears
CCNP/CCDP/F5SE
Vice President & CTO
American Internet Services
rsears at americanis.net
http://www.americanis.net
858.576.4272 - Phone
858.427.2401 - Fax
INOC-DBA - 6130

I fly because it releases my mind
from the tyranny of petty things . .

"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've
never been hurt and dance like you do when nobody's
watching."