[c-nsp] show interface input rate with service-policy applied

Ian Cox icox at cisco.com
Fri Feb 10 18:38:03 EST 2006

At 03:56 PM 2/10/2006 -0600, tin.nguyen at sasktel.sk.ca wrote:
>I have a 6506 router with sup720 running native IOS 12.2(18)SXF1. I
>applied a service-policy input on a OSM GE-WAN interface that shape the
>input traffic at X Mbps. I then use IXIA to send in Y Mbps of traffic
>(where Y > X). In the show interface command output, the input rate always
>shows X Mbps.
>
>Anyone know if this by design or a bug?

By design for this card, when doing ingress shaping. The input
counters are retrieved from the input queue counters in the PXF
rather than from the MAC chip.

>does the show interface input rate
>include or exclude packets that were dropped in the input queue due to MQC
>QoS service-policy?

Depends on the card. If you do input policing on this port or a WS-X
port you will see the port counters show the actual rate of packets
being received.

Ian