[c-nsp] IOS ping response improvement

Church, Chuck cchurch at netcogov.com
Mon Feb 13 23:07:16 EST 2006

Anyone,

    I'm facing an issue with missed SLAs regarding 2900XL switches and
slow ping response to the mgmt interface at times.  I realize that ICMP
is by design a low-priority thread.  But convincing that to our PHBs may
be a large battle.  What I see on a locally attached switch with only 1
port up (attached to my workstation) is about 80% of the responses are
1-5 ms, but about 20% are in the 30-50ms range, which doesn't meet our
SLAs for the LAN.  I'm sure the CPU is working on STP, CDP, etc,etc
during these times.  But is there anything I can do to improve this?
These switches only exist at the access layer, so STP is only of
importance on the two uplink ports.  The 'scheduler interval' command
only accepts down to 100ms, which isn't really helping.  I know this is
purely cosmetic and not affecting the traffic one bit, but our managers
don't like missing SLAs, even if they're not well-planned...

Thanks,

Chuck Church
Lead Design Engineer
CCIE #8776, MCNE, MCSE
Netco Government Services - Design & Implementation Team
1210 N. Parker Rd.
Greenville, SC 29609
Home office: 864-335-9473
Cell: 864-266-3978
cchurch at netcogov.com
PGP key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x4371A48D

"I'm one Snickers Pie away from losing my foot to diabetes."  -  Homer