[c-nsp] IOS ping response improvement

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Tue Feb 14 00:06:13 EST 2006

Church, Chuck wrote:
> Anyone,
>
>     I'm facing an issue with missed SLAs regarding 2900XL switches and
> slow ping response

Stop right there - why are you measuring the layer 3 performance of a
layer 2 device?  Ping through the device and confirm that it's
forwarding frames, end of story.  Measure what the box does regularly,
not what it does rarely.

I ran into the same issue - 7507s give crappy ping response once per
minute, but if you ping something on the other side of them they're
fine.  Solution: put something on the other side of them.

pt