[c-nsp] IOS ping response improvement

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Feb 14 03:08:58 EST 2006

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Pete Templin wrote:

> Church, Chuck wrote:
>>     I'm facing an issue with missed SLAs regarding 2900XL switches and
>> slow ping response
>
> I ran into the same issue - 7507s give crappy ping response once per
> minute, but if you ping something on the other side of them they're
> fine.  Solution: put something on the other side of them.

Much of this has to do with the fact that traffic directed _to_ the device
often needs to be process switched - the device has to do more work to
respond, so the fact those ping attempts show higher numbers really isn't
indicative of much more than that.  I don't think the 2900XLs support any
switching path other than process switching because they're not designed
to handle layer 3 traffic in any significant volume.

As another poster mentioned, try basing your ping measurements off of
devices sitting behind the router and the switch and I think you'll see a
significant difference in your RTT measurements.

jms