[c-nsp] Cisco 7507 RSP4 with 2* Vip2-50

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Mon Feb 13 23:53:30 EST 2006

LJ Wobker wrote:
> 128MB on a VIP carrying the full table may very well NOT be enough
> memory... actual memory consumption depends on quite a few factors and
> we've seen it vary widely from customer to customer.
>
> Some of the considerations:
> 	- version of IOS (newer code is generally bigger)
> 	- number external routes (i.e. "global BGP" routes)
> 	- number of internal routes (many customers have almost as many
> 	  internal routes as they do external
> 	- features configured
> 	- number of interfaces, etc.

The IOS can only be so new and so big.  We all know it's not 12.4T, and
the OP said it was 12.2S.  What difference does it make whether it's an
external route or internal?  It's a FIB entry on the VIP - the FIB
doesn't know and doesn't care whether it has community 109:666 on it.
What difference would the number of interfaces make?

>>> On our 7500 with 12.0S, the VIP2-50s with 128 Mb have 59 Mb "free".  The

Bingo.  Jon's VIPs are 54% "full" on memory, and mine are just about the
same (58.4MB free).  Why would the OP's VIPs go boom on 12.2S?

pt