[c-nsp] IOS ping response improvement

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Tue Feb 14 03:10:57 EST 2006

Your PHB's are right, you should not be seeing this on a switch that is
doing nothing.  The
only time that any kind of traffic prioritization - ICMP or otherwise -
comes
into effect is when you run out of resources - cpu resources, bandwidth,
whatever.  That then forces the device to start picking and choosing what
is going to be dropped and what is going to be delayed and what is going
to be responded to - that is the essense of prioritization.

Since this is a switch I would bet 10 to 1 that it's an autonegotiation
problem
with your workstation ethernet chipset and the 2900XL switch port.  Is by
any chance your workstation running a gigabit adapter and your plugged
into
a 10/100 switch port?  Is it by any chance a Dell workstation with that
excrement broadcom gigabit ethernet chipset?  Do you realize if you gave
me a dollar every time I saw an ethernet problem with one of those shitty
chips that you would be bankrupt? :-)

Start by firmware updating your switch, then plug another workstation
with
an adapter from a different manufacturer in it, and retry your ping test.
And
make sure your using a good cable that was factory-crimped not something
that you built yourself.

Ted