[c-nsp] Cisco 3560 & BGP

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Wed Feb 15 10:22:43 EST 2006

On (2006-02-15 06:51 -0800), Lawrence Wong wrote:

> I'm currently looking for a "small L3" switch to use
> at a POP site. I notice that the 3560 comes with 128MB
> RAM and supports BGP (IP services feature set).
>
> Has anyone had any experience on this? Will the 3560
> handle around a thousand odd BGP routes? And will it

show sdm prefer should give you hint how many routes
you can push to hardware.

> exhibit high CPU usage/latency caused by the per
> minute BGP scanner process like the Cisco routers?

for hardware platform like 3550 this is irrelevant, unless
you consider convergence speed relevant. It doesn't
slow down packet forwarding at all. But surely
the slower the CPU the slower the convergence, but
I think with parameters given, this is largely
academic issue to you.

> TIA!

  ++ytti