[c-nsp] Dual-homing without BGP

Edward B. DREGER eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Thu Feb 16 10:30:48 EST 2006

I'll also cast a "no" vote on the BGP avoidance kludge.  Running BGP is
not difficult.  You need not take full tables.  You can reject certain
routes according to AS_PATH.

Moreover, if they're really concerned about redundancy, I suggest having
two border routers and running HSRP internally.  Careful: One nails
routes differently (i.e., not to null) and needs IGP clue (usually OSPF,
especially on smaller networks) in this case.

IIRC, PBR is no longer process switched.  If it were, that should scare
anyone away from using it in a serious situation. ;-)

Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - http://www.brotsman.com/
davidc at brics.com -*- jfconmaapaq at intc.net -*- sam at everquick.net
Ditto for broken OOO autoresponders and foolish AV software backscatter.