[c-nsp] 7200 GRE tunnel CPU load

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists Lists at Hojmark.ORG
Tue Feb 21 14:20:19 EST 2006

> I have a few 7200's out there in the field running GRE
> tunnels between one another with the destinations set to the
> external (Public) interface IP.

Speaking of which, has anyone got real-world experience with how
many unicast tunnels can realistically be supported on different
platforms? (No fragmentation, no other features, but with 'adjust
mss').

> In the world of the 7600/6500-sup720 when you build GRE tunnels
> you should assign an unique IP to a loopback for each end of
> the tunnel in order to have the packets hardware switched.

That is correct.

> From what I knew the 7200 cannot hardware switch packets over
> a GRE tunnel but I figured I would write to ask before I put
> the effort into trying.

The 7200 can't hardware-switch anything.

-A