[c-nsp] multi-vrf CE - importing and exporting via ibgp with a RR PE

Anton Smith anton at huge.geek.nz
Thu Feb 23 21:10:27 EST 2006

Hi all,

Imagine the following setup:

--- CE --- PE --- VPN-ipv4 core

The =s represent vlans.

The PE has a VRF configured on it that contains at least two interfaces
(the two vlans between CE and PE). IBGP sessions are configured between
the CE and PE, and the PE has route reflection enabled.

Humour me and imagine that I want the two vrfs on the CE to route
traffic to each other via the VPN rather than leaking routes to each
other locally.

The problem is that the two vrfs on the CE receive all routes from the
PE from the rest of the VPN, and install them, but *NOT* routes from
each other. Keep in mind that I have route reflection running on the PE
and it is working (other 'normal' CE hanging off the PE are able to
exchange routes using IBGP).

Routes from each VRF on the CE are successfully being advertised to the
PE, and are being installed in the VPN's routing table. I have also
checked that they are being advertised correctly to each vrf on the CE
from the PE. I.e. the PE is advertising 10.13.0.0/24 to vrf 2 (via it's
IBGP session with 10.0.0.0) and 10.13.1.0/24 to vrf 1 (via it's IBGP
session with 10.0.0.2).

I can't see anything different about the routes whatsoever. The PE
strips extended communities inbound, and actually I'm not sure if I need
the route-target export/import statements on the CE, since it should be
straight ipv4 (although I do notice that it is sticking route target
extended communities on the routes it sends to the PE).

I have turned on soft reconfiguration, and run:
show ip bgp vpnv4 vrf vrf2 neighbors 10.0.0.3 received-routes - but I
still don't see anything that originated from the other vrf.

Is there something obvious that I am missing here? Any help would be
much appreciated (and yes, I appreciate that what I am trying to do is a
little bit strange but as I mentioned earlier, please humour me).

Regards,
Anton

There are two vrfs are configured on the CE, like so:

ip vrf vrf1
  rd 100:1
  route-target export 1:1
  route-target import 1:1